Preserve® CA – Copper Azole (CA-C)
Proven Long-term Protection
Fontana Wholesale Lumber Inc. is proud to offer as their latest wood protection option, Preserve® CA (copper azole). For more than two decades Preserve® CA treated wood has provided long-term protection from fungal decay and termite attack and offers affordable natural beauty of real wood for outdoor applications.
Preserve® CA-C is a “greener” preservative and a more sustainable option than previous wood preservatives. The EPA states, “This wood preservative has a lower toxicity profile when compared to older wood preservatives. Preserve® CA is field-tested, proven-to-last, accepted as an industry standard, and is building code compliant (IRC and IBC). NAHB Home Innovation Research Labs has certified Preserve® CA as a Green Certified Product for Resource Efficiency and is eligible to contribute points toward a building’s certification under the National Green Building Standard™ (NGBS).
We are currently offering Preserve® CA for treating service only (TSO) on most commonly used softwood species of lumber and plywood.
- Protected with Preserve® CA-C pressure treated wood preservative
- Does not contain arsenic or chromium
- Contains 100% recycled copper
- Preserve® CA contains a soluble copper component as the primary biocide and two triazole fungicides, propiconazole and tebuconazole as co-biocides, to help control attack from copper tolerant fungi.
- Provides long term protection from rot, decay and termite attack
- Can be used in residential, commercial, and industrial applications in above ground, ground contact, freshwater immersion, wood foundations and salt-water splash applications
- Registered for use on lumber, timbers, landscape ties, fence posts, building and utility poles, land, freshwater and marine pilings, seawalls, decking, wood shingles, and other wood and wood framing structures.
- Offers a wider selection of timber species
- Easily painted or stained
- Standardized by the American Wood Protection Association (AWPA)
- Quality control ensured by independent third-party inspection
- Treated wood scraps and cut offs should be disposed of in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations.
Painting and Staining or Natural Weathering
Preserve can be painted or stained to match any outdoor color scheme. High quality oil and latex-based paints and stains are recommended. Water repellent coatings can be applied to improve the weathering performance. Left uncoated or with clear water repellent coatings, Preserve will initially weather to a natural brown color, eventually turning gray following long-term exposure to the sun.
It is important to ensure that the wood is dry and free from surface deposits prior to applying any coating.
Nails, Fasteners and Fittings
Hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel fasteners and fittings are acceptable for use with CA-C treated wood. Direct contact of Preserve treated wood with aluminum fasteners and fittings is not recommended.
Specifications, Approvals, Registrations and Awards
- Standardized by the American Wood Protection Association (U1, T1, UC1, UC2, UC3A, UC3B, UC4A, UC4B,UC4C)
IBC & IRC Building Code compliant under AWPA Standards:
- International Building Code (IBC)
- International Residential Code (IRC)
- Preserve® CA is a NAHB Home Innovation Labs NGBS Green Certified Product for Resource Efficiency and is eligible to contribute points toward a building certification under the National Green Building StandardTMThe Lifetime Limited warranty covers Preserve treated wood against damage by fungal decay or termite infestation that makes the wood structurally unfit for the application for which it was used.
Viance warranty coverage includes Above Ground and Ground Contact treated wood framing members that are critical to the safety and performance of the structure, including joists and beams.
* See Lifetime Limited Warranty for terms and conditions at www.treatedwood.com.
Preserve Recommended Retentions for Various Applications
Application – Retention (lbs/CuFt) – Uses:
- Above Ground – 0.06 – Decking, fence boards, hand rails, deck supports
- Ground Contact Fresh Water – 0.15 – Fence posts, landscaping, piers, docks, lagging etc.
- Permanent Wood Foundations – 0.31 – Wood foundations, crawl spaces
- Poles – 0.31 – Building, transmission and distribution poles